2020 OLE MISS CHORAL FESTIVAL
UPDATE ON PLANS for 2020
Dear Ole Miss Choral Festival Participants,
2020 marks the 18th Ole Miss Choral Festival and during those years, we have had the opportunity to welcome thousands of middle and high school students to our campus to receive a quality choral experience. Many schools have returned year after year and we have grown to become great friends during that time.
During the fall of 2020 the COVID-19 virus will continue to bring uncertainty to all of us. Guidelines provided by the CDC, state and health officials, and the administration at the University of Mississippi, will prevent us from hosting the festival in our traditional on-campus format. BUT, WE WILL HOST OUR FESTIVAL IN A NEW FORMAT!
For 2020, we are inviting middle and high school directors to submit video recordings of their choir that will be reviewed by three adjudicators offering substantial feedback from which your choir can build and grow.
We are aware that many choirs may or may not be meeting in a traditional format with standard rehearsal schedules and procedures. Many choirs may not have the ability to have continuity of rehearsal that would allow them to be fully prepared for a festival as early as September. Therefore, we want to offer a goal and opportunity to continue our collective focus on choral development. So, we are going to provide a non-competitive performance adjudication that will offer great feedback from well-known conductors who will use a video response platform.
We will not have our traditional competition with awards ceremony.
1. Fill out the Choral Festival Application
2. Each school will be limited to one choir submission (two octavos maximum).
DATES and DEADLINES:
1. REGISTRATION WILL OPEN ON AUGUST 1, 2020.
2. We can only accept 35 choirs, so register early. Registration deadline is September 30, 2020 or when the 35 slots are filled.
3. Payment deadline of $50 fee is due October 15, 2020. (See information below)
4. Your completed video performance should be sent to Ole Miss by October 15, 2020. Submit your video by uploading to YouTube and send the link to Dr. Elizabeth Hearn at email@example.com
5. Your completed video feedback will be sent to you by December 1, 2020.
Instructions for submitting a recorded audition are as follows:
A. Be sure you label or inform the listeners; a) director’s name, b) school name, c) choir’s name.
B. If you haven’t already, you’ll need to create an account on the video sharing site of your choice in order to upload a video, preferably YouTube
C. By default, online video submissions are public and generally accessible through search results. You may wish to restrict who can view your recording, but you need to make sure we are able to access the video. On YouTube, set your video to “Unlisted.” This will allow anyone with the link to view your video. We are unable to access videos set to Private. Email your video link to Dr. Elizabeth Hearn at firstname.lastname@example.org
D. Please provide separate links to your two octavo performances.
1. Dr. Marques L. A. Garrett, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
2. Dr. Michael Hanawalt, Florida State University
3. Dr. Jessica Nápoles, University of North Texas
The cost of this year’s festival entry is $50. Payment has to be submitted in the form of a check. Checks should be made out to “University of Mississippi.” In this time of probable budget cuts and uncertainty, we want to provide a positive and productive opportunity for you and your choir this fall at a very low cost. Any questions in regard to payment, please contact Cara Jones (Administrative Assistant) at email@example.com
FURTHER INFORMATION: If you need additional information, please contact Keely Kelso (Festival Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org